Study information

Students.Our aim is to provide students at Södertörn University with the best possible service and support, so this area of the website gathers practical information that we hope and believe you will find useful.

Do you want to know how to apply to higher education or when the semester starts? Do you need to contact the Student Health Service, or perhaps you are planning to become involved with a student organisation? Do you want to apply for a degree certificate but are unsure how to go about it? Many questions can arise during your studies; if you can't find the answer you need here, please contact one of our study guidance advisors or Student Support Services. They will be happy to help you.

Choose what you want to study at Södertörn University from our programmes and courses in our online prospectus.

Working in Sweden

EU/EEA citizens

EU/EEA citizens have the right to work in Sweden without a work and residence permit. If you would like to stay for longer than three months, you have to register with the Swedish Migration Board.

More information about working in Sweden for an EU/EEA citizen:

Non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of a country that is not a part of the EU and you want to work in Sweden, you must have a work permit. If you plan to work in Sweden for longer than three months, you will also need a residence permit. If your studies in Sweden will take longer than three months, you also need to acquire a residence permit before you arrive in Sweden. You can apply for visas and permits at the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country.

More information about working in Sweden for an non EU/EEA citizen is available here:

More information about visa/residence issues is available here.

Finding a job

Finding  a job in Sweden if you cannot speak Swedish can sometimes be difficult, as most jobs require some knowledge of Swedish. But do not despair, there are work opportunities for people who cannot speak Swedish.

If you are looking for work in Sweden, read the different guides provided on the Arbetsförmedlingen (Swedish Public Employment Service) website for better idea about what working in Sweden is like:

There are a number of different websites where you can look for a job if you can speak Swedish. Some of them are:

  • The Swedish Public Employment Service:

  • - Nordic recruiting portal:

  • Sweden's news in English:

  • Au pair jobs in Sweden:

  • International careers and jobs

  • Information about living and working in Sweden:

  • Jobs in Sweden

ID number

When you are looking for work, most employers will ask you for your Swedish ID number (personnummer). In order to get an ID number you need to have lived in Sweden for one year; if you are staying in Sweden for a shorter period of time you cannot get a Swedish ID number. If your residence permit is valid for less than 12 months, Skatteverket (the tax authority) may issue a co-ordination number, however this does not entitle you to medical coverage.

Skatteverket's office in central Stockholm: Klara Vattugränd 1, Stockholm. Map

You can work even if you do not have a Swedish ID number, but you must submit a tax form to the tax authority. Please contact Skatteverket for more information.

Useful links:

  • - what working in Sweden is like.

  • The Swedish Migration Board - forms, applications and information e.g. work permits.